Thursday, July 24, 2008

Happy Pioneer Day!

Today marks the anniversary of the Mormon Pioneers' first entry into the Salt Lake valley in 1847. When you live in Utah, the entire state whoops it up on July 24th: parades and fireworks and bands and church suppers where they serve piles of homemade whole wheat bread with butter and jam.

I have many ancestors who were Mormon pioneers and who walked across the hot dusty plains with their oxen and their sunbonnets and their barrels of molasses and their scriptures heading toward a place where they could live their religion in peace. The older I get, the more I am in awe of these people and the more I realize that their strength is somewhere down inside me, and inside my children. I have a responsibility to carry on their legacy, and that's a very humbling thought.


So we had a little Pioneer Day project today. We built a little covered wagon from a kit. All it took was a hammer and wood glue, so it was the perfect project for two small boys. And it turned out very nicely!


Posted by Picasa

No comments: