Friday, April 11, 2008

The Very Beginnings

I realize I'm about a month behind, but I finally got some seeds started for my Very First Garden on the Prairie. I planted tomatoes, peppers, and marigolds in my seed starting kit a few days ago. This morning I was delighted to discover that they are indeed sprouting-- just barely! They were old seeds Glenda gave me, so there was some question about their viability. Plus, I'm always amazed still that anything I plant actually grows. Too many years of killing plants before I knew what I was doing.

Anyway, If you enlarge this photo by clicking on it and look very carefully, you can see quite a few tiny shoots uncurling in this photo:


Here's a closeup of what they look like right at first. Before they reach up and put out leaves they have this fuzzy white stuff on them. Funky, huh?



Seeds are so fascinating.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Annalea said...

I love those fuzzy little roots. They often show, since they're the first things out, and need to push down into the soil before there's any support for the tiny seed leaves.

I look forward to seeing your garden this year, especially since I won't have much of one.