Monday, December 29, 2008

Looking Ahead

Now that Christmas is over I'm gearing up for the season of self-improvement. I love making New Year's resolutions. I do pretty well at keeping them too. I just read over the resolutions I made last year and I was surprised to realize how much progress I'd made toward my goals. It helps to keep the goals simple and reasonable, yet still challenging.

I've got two lists I'm starting right now. The first one is long-term goals as they relate to my personal mission statement--things like "develop more patience in working with the children." The second is short-term stuff I really need to get onto now that Christmas is over, like "clean out that messy disaster in the bottom of the coat closet" and "stop eating Oreos."

In the process of digging out my old goals for self-evaluation, I came across an old favorite that I thought I'd share:

President David O. McKay's Ten Rules of Happiness:

1. Develop yourself by self-discipline.
2. Joy comes through creation -- sorrow through destruction. Every living thing can grow: Use the world wisely to realize soul growth.
3. Do things which are hard to do.
4. Entertain upbuilding thoughts. What you think about when you do not have to think shows what you really are.
5. Do your best this hour, and you will do better the next.
6. Be true to those who trust you.
7. Pray for wisdom, courage, and a kind heart.
8. Give heed to God's messages through inspiration. If self-indulgence, jealousy, avarice, or worry have deadened your response, pray to the Lord to wipe out these impediments.
9. True friends enrich life. If you would have friends, be one.
10. Faith is the foundation of all things -- including happiness.

What are some of your goals for the coming year?

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Thank you for posting this. It was just what I needed today. I am not a good commenter, but I love your blog and your lifestyle. What an example!

Here's to a wonderful new year!

Melissa said...

I enjoyed reading this post. I hope you've had a wonderful holiday!

Melissa :)
www.withasmile.wordpress.com

Meechelee said...

Oh Sara! That was wonderful!!! I have been feeling discouraged about goals and about life lately, but that really inspired me.

Annalea said...

I've been meaning to come and comment for a long time (well, since you posted this, lol). I've been thinking about it, and President McKay's #9 really struck me. It's what has allowed me to get past the "but what if I'm inconveniencing them?" road block to making friends. Already, I've gone to visit one new friend, and have a date set with another for next week. Woo-hoo for me!

But my main goal for the coming year? Do do what Leo Babauta did, and finally fill my life with the things I truly love. So far, it's looking great!