Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Durned Critters

So, Glenda calls me the other day and says "You're not going to believe this."

Eh?

"I'm sitting here at my back window watching the squirrels climb up our corn stalks, take off the ears of corn, peel them, and eat them."

I did not know squirrels could do that. I have grown corn in squirrel-populated areas before and I have never seen that happen.

But it happened. They ate all our corn.

We had five or six lovely rows of corn, and we hardly got any to eat.


We've also had a big problem with rabbits. They ate our beans. They ate our sunflowers. They ate my sweet potato leaves. The sweet potato leaves are trying to come back, but I don't think they stand much of a chance.


And all those beautiful tomatoes? Well, we're getting some, but the critters are nabbing the ripe ones, taking a few bites, then leaving the rest on the ground for the bugs. It's painful to see a beautiful garden-ripe tomato in this state:

Next year I will begin experimenting with methods of deterring small critters. I can't let this happen again!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Annalea said...

Two thoughts . . .

Does Glenda feed the squirrels? If she doesn't, you might want to try keeping them so stuffed that they don't bother the garden. Or poisoning them. (Sounds cruel, I know . . . but when critters mess with feeding my family, I get pretty mama-grizzly-bear about it.)

You can try hot pepper spray. Hot hot hot hot pepper spray. There are also natural ones on the market, like PlantSkyd (sp?) from Garden's Alive.

Wire will keep the bunnies out (if it's sunk down and then comes out at a right angle for a foot or so), but I really don't know much about squirrels. Definitely a problem, they are. They'll destroy just about anything . . . fall planted bulbs, early spring foliage, and the rest you know.

Good luck!!!