Monday, April 27, 2009

One of Those Homeschool Moments

I was having a tough time with Bean and his math this morning. He was trying my patience to the utmost. It was one of his flickering lightbulb days. One second he would be totally on the ball and giving me the right answer very quickly. The next second he would be wiggling, pulling faces, flinging his pencil across the room, and acting like he had no idea what I was talking about, even though he gave me the right answer just a moment ago. I have some theories about what causes this and there's some things we do that help but today was one of those days where he was just really struggling and so was I. I was on the verge of screaming. I asked him, "What is six plus eight?" He looked at me with his googly stare and said "two." I took a deep breath and said quietly, "Now, think, Bean. If you have six doughnuts and Fish has eight donuts and you put them all together, how can you have only two doughnuts?" He immediately responded, "I'm hungry!"

A good belly laugh was just what I needed right then.

1 comment:

* said...

"I'm hungry" -- great answer! and probably very truthful, as well!

A good belly laugh is always a treat.