Saturday, March 28, 2009

Snow Ice Cream

The kids heard about snow ice cream from reading the "Little House" books, so this afternoon I caught Fish carrying a large hunk of snow into the house. "I want to make snow ice cream!" he told me.

"Absolutely NOT!" was on the tip of my tongue when childhood memories of eating snow ice cream suddenly flooded into my mind. Somehow I found myself saying, "Sure! Let me help you!" After all, it doesn't snow very often here, so it's not like they're going to beg for this every day. Whatever pollutants are in the snow probably won't hurt them if they only eat it a couple times a year.

I checked to make sure the snow was reasonably clean, then we put it into bowls. I sprinkled brown sugar on it and then we added milk and glycerin-based vanilla extract.


They loved it, of course. I used to love it too, when I was a kid. But my rush of nostalgia didn't sweep me along far enough to actually eat any of this rare delicacy. I let them savor every morsel. Now I need to go upstairs and clean up the aftermath. I hope they add this to their store of warm fuzzy childhood memories.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Dr. Croc said...

I remember this from the Melendy books! We loved it when we were kids, too.