Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I Can Still Have Fun

I can't believe I've made it so long without sugar.

Sometimes I have terrible withdrawals, but I know I feel better overall this way.

And when it gets really hard, I take comfort in the fact that you can make divine homemade ice cream with honey.

Birrd's Honey Ice Cream for a 1.5 quart ice cream maker:

1 3/4 C milk
1/2 C honey
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 C whipping cream

Stir milk, honey & salt together in small saucepan. Heat on medium, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, beat eggs. When mixture is almost boiling, whisk some of it into the eggs a little at a time and then whisk the eggs back into the pan a little at a time. Cook 2-3 minutes until mixture thickens slightly. Try not to let it curdle, but if it does don't worry-- the ice cream will still be yummy. Refrigerate this mixture at least 2 hours. When it's time to make the ice cream stir in the cream and vanilla and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

After it's made you can stir in a bit of fruit if you want. The above photo contains some of last summer's strawberry harvest.

Posted by Picasa


No comments: