Friday, May 22, 2009

Cake in the Works

My friend JaneAnne posted a recipe on her blog for an absolutely amazing gourmet rhubarb cream cake just a few days ago. It looked divine. It also looked very fun to make, albeit time-consuming. The kind of cake I would only make on a very, very special occasion.

Aha! I thought. I have found my birthday cake!

You don't turn 30 every day. So it's worth taking all day the day before to make your cake.

Between the custard cream for the filling and the cake itself, I separated no less than a dozen eggs.


A whole pint of whipping cream, a whole pint of half and half, and a brick of cream cheese also worked their way in. There's no holding back with this cake.

Here's my carefully stewed rhubarb to mix with the custard for the filling. Had I used only the red ends of the rhubarb it would have been a nice pretty pink, but pea green is in these days, so I went with the times.



I had lots of help with this cake, which is why it took me all day. Here is Fish mixing the merengue into the cake batter. Behind the mixing bowl you can see the way Roo decorated the floured cake pans with her cute little fingers.


All ready to go in the oven! Hooray!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: