Friday, August 14, 2009

Sweet Love


Now that I know how to pick them, eating watermelon has become one of the great joys of our August existence.


See that nice yellow bottom on this melon? That's the key. This melon tastes amazing.


I've also had very good luck with the tip in the same newspaper article about canteloupes and other similar melons. When they start to ripen in the field, the stem starts to detach from the melon. This leaves a crescent-shaped scar on the spot where the stem attached to the melon. I'll take a picture next time I buy one so you can see what I mean. I sometimes look through the melon bin at the store now and don't pick any because there are no crescents, even if they're really cheap. Every time I have found one, however, the melon has been nice and sweet, even if the texture is fairly firm.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: