Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Not-So-Random Encounter

For the last seven years I have spent a lot of time at church in the Mother's Lounge. Lately, it seems like I spend practically all my time at church there, because my Little Rabbit seems to find church very disrupting to her schedule and tends to completely freak out during church hours. Sometimes I feel bad that I am missing out on the spiritual replenishment that I always gain from my meetings. However, I have had some of the most amazing encounters and conversations in the Mother's Lounge over the years. I have met some of my best friends there (Hi Michele!) and had some remarkable service opportunities.

A few weeks ago I met a gal who was in town visiting her in-laws from a city a few hours away from here. She seemed really familiar to me, like someone I had known all my life. So I grilled her on where she was from and where she'd lived and determined that there was no way we could have possibly ever met before. As we talked, I found out she had something that she didn't need but a friend of mine needs very badly. I gave her my phone number and asked her to call me next time she was coming into my area so she could bring it to me.

Well, she actually called me, and she actually brought it. My friend is going to be so thrilled. And as this gal was standing on my porch yesterday I felt again this connection to her. I don't even know her last name and logic would suggest that I'm never going to see her again, but I know that somewhere, somehow, we are going to spend time together again. Either that or she was actually my guardian angel in disguise. Either way it was a random encounter that was definitely not by chance.

As we were chatting on the porch for a few minutes, she mentioned that she was just now switching to cloth diapers. I just laughed. But then she said that the reason was that diapers were going to be going up twenty percent in cost. I hadn't known that, but it made me so very glad. Looks like I'm going to be saving more money than I thought.

No comments: