Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Badger Birthday

Ever since experiencing childbirth, without anesthesia I mught add, I have a different view of birthdays. Where I used to say to the Birthday Person "I'm glad you were born!" I now also like to say to their mother "Hooray for you! You did a good job!" For them, it is the anniversary of a monumental experience in more ways than one.

And so, on the occasion of my Badger's birthday I say to my dear Mother-in-law, "Hooray for you! THANK YOU!!"

I'll never know just how tough it was for her. After getting married in 1971 she had a baby in 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1975. The 1975 baby was my Badger, shown below with his mom and older siblings:


She had three more children later, for a total of seven. She tells me she was always exhausted. I bet that's an understatement. She truly gave her all for her family. I am so incredibly grateful for her sacrifice. Because it means I now have this:


I love this man. He is so right for me.


And now he is 33, which in the Hobbit world means that he has finally come of age. We're expecting great things.


Happy Birthday, Honey. And thanks again, Mom.

P.S. Stay tuned for details on the Badger's utterly perfect made-from-scratch birthday cake!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sox said...

It's funny, I was thinking the same thing about birthdays just yesterday as I contemplated my Blanket turning 1 this week. Although my experience with birth has been VERY different from yours (keep following and you will learn more) I can't help but think that birthdays should be more a celebration of mom, and a convenient time to celebrate someone special.